Dunstablians beaten by Market Bosworth despite strong second half

Dunstablians went down to defeat at the weekendDunstablians went down to defeat at the weekend
Dunstablians went down to defeat at the weekend
Counties One Midlands East (South): Dunstablians 10 Market Bosworth 31

A strong second half showing couldn’t prevent Dunstablians from losing 31-10 at home to Market Bosworth in their Counties One Midlands East (South) clash on Saturday.

Injuries and unavailability saw the hosts take to the field looking to put their season back on track after some heavy defeats, but the omens weren’t good, a miscommunication from the kick-off resulting in a penalty that saw the visitors spin the ball wide and go over in the corner.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Although Dees showed the occasional spark in attack and defended manfully, Bosworth still went into the break with 31 unanswered points from five tries and three conversions.

Dees came out a much more belligerent outfit in the second half, the veteran front five proving more than a match for their larger counterparts as the hosts began to string together some coherent phases of play with strong forward work providing a solid platform.

An early injury to flanker Rhys Thomas saw the introduction of Michael Tearle-Reed, but still Dees continued to force their way into the game.

A crunching tackle from flanker Nate Dominique saw both sides lose a player to the sin-bin and also ended scrum-half Keiron Cove’s participation, after he received a boot to the face.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

His replacement, Will Ludgate, ensured that the burgeoning Dees attacks didn’t lose any intensity, demonstrating an impressive and aggressive work-rate in both attack and defence.

Another injury removed Craig Metcalfe from the fray, but his replacement Ash Jenkinson soon secured possession from a Dees lineout deep in the Bosworth 22.

The ensuing maul rumbled close to the line, Jenkinson ferreting his way through to score Dees’ first points.

A second soon followed, good hands in the backs seeing the ball transferred to via Ludgate and fly-half Kevin Boland to Ben McDonagh, who stretched over for his maiden first team try.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The rest of the half was an grind, but despite going down to 14 men when Tearle-Reed was carded for a high tackle, Dees held firm to leave Bosworth worthy victors yet pointless in the second half.

Although another loss, there were plenty of reasons for optimism for the hosts as the sieve-like defence of the past few weeks was eradicated, nullifying even the most monstrous of the Bosworth forward runners, and the youngsters who were drafted in stood up and were counted.

Another positive is that, despite having around 20 players unavailable, Dees were still able to field two competitive teams at a time when many clubs in both the local area and the league are struggling.

Although it will without doubt be a tough season, the foundations are in place to continue to provide a base for local rugby for many years to come and that is something that everyone involved should be proud of while making every effort to preserve.

Dees visit Northampton Casuals this weekend.

Related topics: