Dunstablians inflict late heartache on Stockwood Park in Bedfordshire Vase

Just one point separated local rivals Dunstablians and Stockwood Park as they delivered a thriller in their fourth meeting of the season.

Tuesday, 11th February 2020, 12:56 pm
Michael Powell running with the ball for Stockwood Park against Dunstablians. (PHOTO BY: Corinne Lovell). EMN-201102-124918002

A penalty in the Stockwood 25 three minutes from the end was converted to give Dunstablians victory by 20 points to 19 in the Bedfordshire Vase.

It meant they had won three of those four encounters, having also beaten Stockwood in the league only seven days earlier. But there was so little to choose between the sides this time in a tie played at a brisk pace.

First to score, after seven minutes, was the visiting full-back Rob Jack after a good period of sustained possession. The conversion by Brandon Lewsey was successful.

Dunstablians responded with pressure of their own, driving forward, and this resulted in an unconverted try in the 13th minute.

As the match ebbed and flowed, back came Stockwood for a try in the corner from prop Justin Harkin after a lineout. But again, the hosts hit back, scoring their second try in the 23rd minute.

The end-to-end entertainment continued until just before half-time when Stockwood edged into a 19-12 lead with their third try, scored by left-wing Luke Corsie and converted by Lewsey.

However, that proved to be their last score of the contest as a second half of intense rugby ensured.

As both sides struggled to gain the upper hand, Stockwood were resolute in defence, but when Dunstablians were awarded a scrum, it resulted in an unconverted try.

By now, no quarter was being given, with both teams tenacious in attack. It could have gone either way until that late, decisive penalty.

Stockwood tried all they could to fight back, but Dunstablians deservedly went through to the next round.

This Saturday, Stockwood return to league action with an away match at St Neots.