Jubilation as Luton RFC secure first win

First for sports news
First for sports news

There were jubilant scenes at Newlands Road on Saturday as Luton RFC earned their opening win of the London One North season at the 13th attempt by beating Harrow 18-15.

The hosts knew this was the time to kick start their campaign, but it was Harrow who scored first with a close-range try.

The conversion was missed though and Luton got straight back into the game on six minutes when Rick Hobbs kicked a penalty.

The home side settled into a period of sustained pressure with good handling testing the Harrow defence.

Although they stayed strong it was at the cost of several infringements and Hobbs added a second penalty after a good break by Robert Povey to make it 6-5.

As the half closed Harrow found their form and a slick passing move saw their second try in the corner as they led 10-6.

The second period got underway with Luton having the advantage of the wind and the slope in their favour.

Hobbs was off target with an early penalty, but Luton are becoming more resolute, with Jonathan Kerr and Allen up front along with backs’ Tom Mahendran and Povey standing out.

After 55 minutes, Luton were in front when Adam Harris broke a number of tackles to touch down under posts.

Povey, taking over from Hobbs with the kicking tee, mastered the conditions and added the conversion as Luton led 13-10.

The hosts were now in control and with 13 minutes to go, Hobbs turned try scorer as he took a sharp pass from the breakdown to sneak over in the corner.

Povey’s kick was only narrowly wide from the touch line, but it increased Luton’s advantage to 18-10.

There was still time for a dramatic finish as Harrow mounted a desperate late challenge which saw Vosabalavu go over in the corner from a lineout.

However Luton held firm even having a last minute penalty kick go wide as the final whistle brought scenes of celebration.

Director of rugby Paul Alston said: “It feels great, it’s nice to enjoy that winning feeling.

“The team was focused for the whole 80 minutes as they had the right attitude and great belief in one another.”

A relieved first team manager Dicky Jones added: “I think it was that extra five percent extra intensity that took us over the line.

“It’s been coming all season but we just lacked a bit of confidence. This time it was there. We looked confident with the ball in hand and the decisions we made.

“I feel like now could be the turning point for us. I’ve always believed that one win would get the ball rolling. It’s important that we work hard in training and go into next week’s game positively.”

Luton visit Chelmsford this weekend, while both Aiden Kenny and forward Mobashar Mahmood could be available soon.