Meddeman score ensures dramatic Luton comeback

Luton returned from the depths of defeat to triumph 31-28 in dramatic fashion over Thurrock.

By The Newsroom
Thursday, 30th October 2014, 2:00 pm

Thurrock raced into an early lead after six minutes when fly-half Hagen Mumba showcased his unexpected pace to score.

The visitors quickly scored their second try when Kealan Henry scored in the corner, before a Jordan Thorne try meant the hosts found themselves trailing 0-21.

Luton looked to fight back though as Stuart Tomkinson, who was making his first appearance for the hosts, showed great power to force his way over in the corner, and the conversion was brilliantly converted by fly-half Rik Hobbs and ensure Luton only trailed by 14.

Five minutes later though, Thurrock restored their domination following a wonderful build up of passing that allowed winger Nathan Farrell to cross for their bonus point score. Mumba maintained his 100 per cent record by converting from close range and send the visitors into half-time with a 7-28 lead.

Luton exchanged strong words at the break, and the second half performance produced a performance in complete contrast to the first.

Just six minutes into the half, Tomkinson made a strong break in midfield, before the ball found it’s way to Jonny Wright for a clear run to the try line to score.

With both sides seeing players go to the sin-bin, a Luton comeback looked likely when Edwards was gifted the ball before scoring, however Hobbs’ convversion hit the upright and the hosts still trailed by nine.

With tempers beginning to boil over, Luton sensed capitulation in the Thurrock camp when second row Karl Rodell forced his way over.

Hobbs was unable to convert but Luton now trailed by just the four points.

If ever there was a time for Luton it was now. With the visitors now making mistakes, a good break allowed Sean Meddeman with space for the match-winning try in the corner, finishing off a great comeback by the hosts that ensured a bonus point win in London One North.