Dunstable let 3-0 lead slip as Waders hit back to draw

Danny TalbotDanny Talbot
Danny Talbot
Southern League Premier Division: Biggleswade Town 3 Dunstable Town 3

Dunstable Town threw away a three-goal lead as they were held to a 3-3 draw by Biggleswade Town in the Southern League Premier Division on Tuesday night.

The visitors had raced into a 3-0 advantage by the half time break, only to concede three in the second period, including a last-minute leveller.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Dunstable opted to play with a strong wind advantage in the first half, as they came up against a Waders’ side who had a host of former Blues, including Ryan Frater, Tony Burnett, Chris Marsh and Inih Effiong.

The visitors were without Adam Pepera, who was suspended and Zack Reynolds, so David Keenleyside was moved to full-back, while Luke Pennell returned and new signing John Frendo remained on the bench.

In the first half, Burnett went close early on, shooting straight at Paul Bastoc, before Dunstable threatened, Chris Vardy’s effort finger-tipped over by home keeper Ian Brown, who excelled throughout.

Danny Talbot’s corner seemed to go straight in, but the goal was disallowed for an infringement.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Vardy was once more denied by Brown, but he did beat the keeper on the half hour, after Keenleyside’s neat pass.

Two minutes later the second arrived as Keenleyside again provided the assist for Connor Calcutt who doubled the visitors’ advantage.

It was almost 3-0 when James Kaloczi and Calcutt combined for Steve Wales, who fired over.

However, Dunstable did have a third on 43 minutes when Talbot pounced on an ineffective clearance to give his side breathing space.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

There were still chances for another goal, with Victor Osobu controversially ruled offside, while Brown saved from Vardy once more.

However, thing changed dramatically after the break as Frater pulled one back on 54 minutes.

Max York’s long throws were causing concern as Frater then headed at Bastock.

Blues pressed for a fourth as Vardy headed wide, and then fired at Brown.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

However, with time running out, Burnett made it 3-2, with Dunstable’s players protesting at what they saw as an infringement beforehand.

With their tails up, Waders pulled level in dramatic fashion during stoppage time as Frater was on hand to score the leveller.

Dunstable host Weymouth this weekend and entertain Slough on Tuesday.

Biggeswade Town: Ian Brown, Max York, Mark Culson, Shane Hill, Ryan Frater, Andrew Iwediuno, Lewis Hilliard (Inih Effiong), Ian Rees, Tony Burnett, Sam Merson, Christopher Marsh.

Subs: Craig Daniel, Gavin Hoyte, Josh Holmes, Michael King.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Dunstable: Paul Bastock, David Keenleyside (Lee Roache), Luke Pennell, Danny Talbot (John Frendo), James Kaloczi, Steven Gregory, Adam Watkins, Victor Osobu, Connor Calcutt, Steve Wales, Chris Vardy.

Sub not used: Jemale McKenzie-Lowe.

Attendance: 115.

Related topics: